Hidden Treasures Found in Other People’s Maps

I am impressed and entertained by the Connected Learning Maps that my classmates have created this week for my ED677 graduate course.  Here are my thoughts on a few (and links to them).

1. Margo was very honest when she mention in her blog that she does not view herself as an artist, so I appreciated her use of an app that not only converts text into a form of art but also distilled her writing down to its most focused elements.  Her concern for the betterment of her students is as clear as her love for STEM.
  2. Tosch’s blog may well prove prophetic when he states in it that he believes “connected learning is the future of education”.  He hits the nail on the head when he describes our class assignments as “guidance” that leaves room for “freedom” of choices that are “driven by interest”.  His video blogs exemplify his growing confidence in his blogging skills. (rightfully so!)
  3. Marie-Laure Chemin’s map of her life is unique in that it has multiple pathways and that I was not sure where to start.  I am amused by the thought of kids as a “cul-de-sac” and can imagine her chasing them around in circles.  The “Stop! Passport Control” section reminds me of the dangers of today’s political climate and its dangerous anti-immigration stance.  I hope she makes it to the “Fun Zone” safely (it appears you need to follow underground tunnels to get there).  Best of luck!
  4. Samantha S maps out important components of her life in her blog here.  I appreciate and respect the concept of theater as a vehicle for social change.  I also admire how theater members treat each other as part of a large extended family.   I applaud her interest in listening to others’ viewpoints and discussing them sincerely.
  5. I am in awe of the people and places that Linsa has seen and met!  In her blog this week, she talks about the value of interacting with people outside of your daily routine.  I too believe that shared experiences help engender a shared sense of community, and Linsa’s blog reminds me to keep growing my personal community.  Thank you for that!
  6. Jen H’s Prezi presentation humbles me in its quality, and reminds me that there is more to life than PowerPoint!  I love how the bird looks like it has been made by origami (it makes me think it is a letter turned into a bird).  Artistic merit aside, I valued how all of the points lead to “Equity and 21st Century Skills” and how the path from the ship leads to the fresh water source (which provides needed sustenance).  Her posts are always prompt and insightful.
  7. I am reminded by Samantha K’s blog of the value of volunteering.  Her map mentions being a Big Brother/Big Sister and her blog posts mentions being a swimming coach.  As I read through the rest of her blog, I thought about how meeting a new person allows you to meet people that he or she knows.  The natural outcome of this continued meeting and sharing is that your personal community, world, and your worldview get a bit bigger each time. Is this not a core tenet of connected learning?

My apologies to my fellow classmates for not posting my map until Sunday, but as always: Thanks for reading!

-Eric L.