Cartography in the Style of Connected Learning

I have created a picture map of my Connected Learning experience up to this point.  It can be found here in the form a Google Slideshow.

Here is my picture-by-picture breakdown:

1. Learning is about acquiring knowledge.  Each of us has a mental storehouse of it (kind of like our own personal encyclopedia set).
  2. Before discussing connected learning I was more private with (and sometimes even protective of) my own thoughts and acquired knowledge.
  3. We must all realize that no person is an island (or in the case of slide #1, a castle).  In order to learn, we must put ourselves out into the world and allow people into our lives.  In order to realize this goal action is required from within and from without.
  4. If everyone in the world amassed their collective knowledge in one location, the quality of the collected knowledge would be without comparison.  (Imagine the library it would take to house all of that!)
  5. Learning is not a one-way street.  Teachers need to pay attention to and learn from what the students are interested in.  (Sometimes  they might need scaffolding in order to convey their thoughts.)
  6. Students of any sort can and will learn from (and with) each other.  Sometimes as a teacher it is necessary to step back and allow for authentic interactions between learners.  (Collaboration can be fun!)
  7. Internet and technological advances have made it possible for people of all ages and backgrounds to find each other.  In this way we can develop meaningful, beneficial, and enjoyable relationships with others.
  8. When we make the choice to step out into the world, we become part of a worldwide community of diverse thinkers and makers and we learn to coexist peacefully and respectfully.

Thanks for reading,

Eric L.